UA-55300619-1

Mutharika didn’t rig elections last year, figures indicate

Filed under: International News,Latest News,Politics |
2,895 Views

The results from this year’s rerun of the Malawian Presidential election compared to those of last year show that there was no vote-rigging last year.

What has changed the result this time around is the reconfiguration of political alliances.

A political analyst Conway Tutani breaks down the figures and says data from last and this year’s elections indicate there was no vote rigging.

“Last year’s winner Peter Mutharika got 38.57% of the vote. This year he got 39.92%, a marginal increase of 1.45% from last year. This shows there was no rigging on his part last year,” he explains.

The two losers last year Lazarus Chakwera and Saulos Chilima got 35.4% and 20.24% of the vote respectively, totalling 55.65%.

This year they contested on the same ticket as running mates and got 59.43% of the vote, an increase of 3.78%.

“If we divide 3.78 by 2, both of them marginally increased their vote from last year by 1.89%, which is not much better from Mutharika’s increase of 1.45% this year,” he adds.

“Thus, the figures did not change much from last year, only the alliances changed, meaning there was no rigging last year,” he says.

Tutani adds that, people must not take comfort from misreading the result of the Malawian election by making false comparisons.

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

6 Responses to Mutharika didn’t rig elections last year, figures indicate

  1. Figures only arent enough to make such a conclusion. They are subject to so many explanations. Mutharika may have campaigned harder, etc

    Kwa
    July 1, 2020 at 2:52 pm
    Reply

  2. he has udf vote as well. not reflected here.

    john banda
    July 1, 2020 at 2:55 pm
    Reply

  3. the analysis lacks relavant information. The percentage mutharika has this year has Dpp-udf alliance effect. Comparing the 2020 sum with that of UDF and DPP in 2019 figures can tell the opposition of what is stipulated in the above analysis.

    I personally fault DPP for not campaigning seriously in the northern and central regions where the Tonse Alliance got an advantage over the mighty DPP-UDF alliance.

    stan
    July 1, 2020 at 3:53 pm
    Reply

  4. I have come across websites that looks like they are from another country not Malawi,when actually they are from Malawi.

    The 2019 Malawi elections case ruling was made based on a lot of factors. And qualitative and quantitave methods were used. As a writer do a lot of research before you make an article. You are a Malawian who is pretending to be from Zambia. Balance your articles

    Gowokani Chachi
    July 1, 2020 at 4:57 pm
    Reply

  5. I think u very stupid mathematician, u need to get back to school.

    Jac
    July 2, 2020 at 9:45 pm
    Reply

  6. Muntharika’s runningmate was also a candidate in 2019. Where are his votes?

    Skr
    July 4, 2020 at 9:23 pm
    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Start: 2019-07-01 End: 2019-07-31