UA-55300619-1
slide 1
slide 1
Image Slide 2
Image Slide 2

Senior citizen dies in a house

Filed under: Breaking News |
1,262 Views

A senior citizen of Mufulira’s Kalukanya area has died after a house he was sleeping in caught fire last evening around 22:00.

The body of the deceased, Edwin Katongo, who is reported to be in his 80’s has since been deposited at Kamuchanga District Hospital Mortuary.

16 year old Grandson to the deceased, narrates to Mafken News that, the fire is believed to have started when a candle he was using to study, burnt out with flames catching furniture after he had dozed off in the living room.

He explains that, at around 22:00 he was brought back from sleep after he started feeling some heat and when he got fully awake he discovered that the ceiling, carpet and a blanket he had covered himself with were on fire.

He adds that, he then got out of the house via the kitchen which is adjacent to the living room, while shouting to his grandfather who was asleep in the bedroom to also go out.

He says, his grandfather however, could not manage to evade the fire as by the time he got to the living room which was his only way to the two exits of the house, fire had engulfed the whole place, prompting him to go to the bathroom where he unfortunately met his fate.

And, neighbour to the deceased, Patrick Kaluba says when he heard the shouts about the fire, he rushed to the scene where he learnt that Mr Katongo was still trapped inside.

Mr Kaluba says after some efforts to put out the fire with the help of othe neighbours, he managed to get inside and found the deceased lying down in the bathroom, prompting him to administer some first aid, but unfortunately the victim was unresponsive.

He adds that, he then decided to rush the victim to Kamuchanga District hospital where Mr Katongo was pronounced dead by health personnel.

Police are yet to comment on the matter.

CREDIT: Mafken FM

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.