UA-55300619-1
slide 1
slide 1
Image Slide 2
Image Slide 2

Kagem Mining scoops ZEMA environmental award

Filed under: Business,Latest News |
1,760 Views

kagem mineKagem Mining in Lufwanyama has received a prestigious environmental award from the Zambia Environmental Management Agency (ZEMA) for its tree planting project.

The accolade was received in recognition of the company’s promotion of environmental management by planting trees in schools, health centres and surround areas to minimise Kagem’s environmental footprint.

In receiving the award ZEMA also acknowledged Kagem’s support to environmental education and community initiatives including construction of Chapula Secondary School and upgrading of Nkana Health Centre in Lufwanyama, and Construction of a bridge across the Kafubu River.

Kagem Community Affairs Manager Mwaka Mulenga and Assistant Manager – Safety Health Environment and Quality Kwanga Miyanza received the award on behalf of the company at the ZEMA 2016 Environmental and Climate Change Awards ceremony on Friday (June 17) from Deputy Minister of Lands, Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Hon. David Mwango.

ZEMA’s Green award is given to companies that demonstrate commitment to adopting and implementing the Go-Green initiative/campaign; Demonstrate corporate social responsibility that promotes sound environmental management; have a commitment to continuous environmental improvement; have an environmental community outreach procedure/programme in place; and apply effort sufficient to meet environmental standards by making use of clean technology, waste minimization, pollution prevention and recycling.

Kagem, which operates the world’s single largest producing emerald mine – is owned 75 per cent by London-listed Gemfields plc in a model partnership with the Zambian government, which owns the remaining 25 per cent.

“Caring for the environment is a key component of Kagem’s sustainability strategy, which also involves community development and economic contributions,” said Mrs Mulenga. “We thank ZEMA for recognising our efforts, and this award will spur us to continue our efforts towards minimising Kagem’s environmental footprint.”

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.