UA-55300619-1
slide 1
slide 1
Image Slide 2
Image Slide 2

Fearing to be banned by FIFA, Government finally pays Italian Coach K3.2 million

Filed under: Latest News,Most Popular Stories,Sports |
2,279 Views
Vincent Mwale

Vincent Mwale

Government has released over K3.2 million towards the payment of former Zambia national soccer team coach Dario Bonetti to settle his unpaid dues.

Minister of Youth and Sport Vincent Mwale disclosed this in a ministerial statement issued in Parliament today.

Mwale said his ministry yesterday processed K3,289,731.04 to settle the accrued salary arrears plus interest.

Mwale said the initial amount owed to Bonetti was K2,296,800 but accrued interest after the period of notification of judgement.

Mwale said the payment was done in order for Zambia not to suffer Federation for International Football Association (FIFA) sanctions which may entail preventing the country from participating in future international football competitions.

He said government had fully settled Bonetti’s dues while the Football Association of Zambia (FAZ) meets the cost of salaries for the senior team coach and assistant commencing this year, 2015.

Last week, Mwale summoned FAZ to discuss Bonetti’s dues and the contract of Chipolopolo Coach Honour Janza.

The minister yesterday further met the FAZ officials to resolve former national team coach Dario Bonetti’s unpaid dues.

FAZ parted company with Bonetti on October 10, 2011, two days after the Italian guided the Chipolopolo to the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations finals.

Bonetti took the matter to FIFA, who ruled that he must be paid about US$382,000.

And parliament heard today that the Independent Broadcasting Authority (IBA) has developed a code of ethics and complaints procedures in order to monitor the alleged conduct of some media houses and how government has taken steps to improve the quality of broadcasting services in the country.

Minister of Information and Broadcasting Services Chishimba Kambwili told parliament that government would not interfere with the operations of the media.

Mr. Kambwili, who is also Chief Government Spokesperson, said the three-year rule of the PF government is a clear testimony of government’s commitment to working with the fourth estate.

He said currently, Zambia boasts of having 78 private owned community radio stations and 13 television stations.

Mr. Kambwili said other measures taken by IBA include warning, suspension of licences as well as revocation of licenses.

The minister however is unhappy with the common breaches by some stations such as non-adherence to the approved type of content to broadcast as stipulated in the license conditions, operating without a license, use of vulgar language and failure by moderators of programmes to control and manage the programmes.

Facebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinmail

One Response to Fearing to be banned by FIFA, Government finally pays Italian Coach K3.2 million

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.